Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sephora Play vs Ipsy - September 2016


It's that time of month again! Where we battle out the two subscription boxes (both $10 monthly) to see which one delivered better products. Here we go!



Sephora Play sends their products in a cute little drawstring bag. This bag is absolutely adorable with the lipstick on the cover. Personally, I'm not sure if I'll ever use these again, but they could be good to regift them for someone's birthday or Christmas.


This month's theme was The Unbasic Basics. It was centered around finding your staple products. I love how Sephora includes a note card that has information about each product. It comes in handy when you have no clue how to use it!


The first product I got in my bag was this brow gel. I was really excited to try this out since I've heard so many wonderful things about Anastasia Beverly Hills. I'm still a bit on the fence with this product. It definitely keeps your brows in place ALL day but that comes with a price. They literally look like you slicked them back with glue or something. The wand is massive and is covered in product. I have to clean the brush off almost completely so I don't apply too much product to my brows. I will say, I freaking love the packaging. It's so beautiful!



Next up is the Kat Von D eyeliner. This product is also super hyped up on the internet and I don't really see why. The brush is very soft and flexible, which I do like, but it doesn't apply very much product. It has a watery consistency, so you have to layer it up a few times for it to be really jet black. 


I was SO excited to get a Living Proof hair product! Once again, this brand is raved about online and it can cost a pretty penny. This is essentially supposed to be like a leave in hair mask that you wear overnight and it says it can last for about a week. I haven't tried it out yet but the smell is amazing. 


What to say about this lipstick. I don't like it. It's such a light pink color that it makes me look dead since I'm already so pale. It goes on very patchy and gross since it's a sheer lipstick in the lightest pink shade possible. Sephora Collection has so much better lip products out there that I would suggest buying over this.


Not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed when I found out I wasn't going to receive the Dr. Jart Water Drop Moisturizer. The one I got instead is okay. I'm not a huge fan of the scent and it isn't the worst moisturizer I've ever tried. Just nothing special. 


I was a little apprehensive about what this would smell like. I mean, the name is Sud Magnolia.. it doesn't sound very appealing. I was pleasantly surprised about how it smelled. It's described as a floral and fresh fragrance with notes of magnolia from Louisiana, bitter orange from Seville, and atlas cederwood from Morocco. I probably won't end up using it though because it doesn't have a spray top.





Next is Ipsy! When I saw pictures of the bag online, I thought it was so strange and I wasn't excited to get it at all. But after I saw it in person, it's so beautiful! It's definitely one of those things you need to see and hold in your hands to really appreciate it.

p.s. the girls are totally spelling out Ipsy


I love receiving nail polishes because it takes forever to use an entire bottle. Plus your collection can never be too big right? I got this from Be a Bombshell in the color Holy Fuchsia. I'm not normally a fan of fuchsia colors but this one is gorgeous. The formula is terrible though. It took me three coats to make this polish look decent and it was still incredibly patchy. Maybe it's just this color because I've heard good things about Va Voom, which is a dark purple color. 


This face cream is $119. Holy crap this is so not worth that much money. The packaging is cute and the formula is good but the smell. It smells like the doctor's office. I'll probably be passing this on to either my mom or my sister.


I can't get over how bad this product smells. I was really excited to try this out since I've never used a tonic before but I couldn't get up the nerve to spray it on my face since it smells so terrible. I can't even describe what the scent it but I'm not a fan. Once again, I'll be passing this along to a family member.


This was the one product I really wanted to receive. First off, I already love Too Faced, they make quality make up. Second, I love all lip products. They're by far my favorite things to get in subscription boxes. I heard a lot of people saying this stung their lips super badly and they hated it. I personally don't think it was that bad at all. After a couple minutes the stinging goes away and it just looks like a really pretty lipgloss. 



The last thing I got was a liquid liner from Eyeko. I really like this product. I know a lot of people said it was really dry and the tip was too hard. Compared to the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, the tip is a lot harder but not in a bad way. I can get a really precise line with this eyeliner and it's much more pigmented than the Kat Von D. It's all done to personal preference, whether you like felt tip, brush tip or more like a marker tip.

And that's everything I received from Sephora Play and Ipsy this month! I think the winner is....
TIE!
They're both pretty equal in my eyes, they had some good and some crappy products. Honestly they both had very similar things this month, so that's a little disappointing. Make sure to let me know what you got in your bags this month and what some of your favorite products were!

xoxo
Lexi Rachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment